Friday, April 16, 2010

Star Billing

This was the star of our dinner this evening: a fresh, crisp, Greek salad. Why would something so simple deserve such acclamation? Well, there's the feta, one of my favorite cheeses. And there's onion, and red onion at that. And coolest of all, this particular head of romaine was grown hydroponically. Squidley has foaf (friend of a friend) that raises vegetables, using that method, in a greenhouse. And no kidding, it was some of the best lettuce I've ever tasted.

And I mustn't forget my compliments for the rest of the meal. There was fresh fried flounder with lots of huge lemon chunks, sweet hush puppies, and curled potato fries.

And tonight I hope to dream of a sweet, but simple, dessert. Something, perhaps, like the homemade strawberry pie my grandmother made many, many times throughout her lifetime. Or her apple pie. Maybe even her blackberry pie. And then there was her homemade coconut cake that always hit it out of the park.

At the risk of repeating myself:

Sweet Dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment