Monday, December 21, 2009

I Heart Applique.

Lately, I've been experimenting with reverse applique. And I do mean experimenting. I've no book on the subject and have only consulted one very sketchy source for information. The above photograph is of one of two hotpads that resulted from from my initial attempt. Leftover fabric from a previous project came in handy. Until I knew for sure what I was doing, I was hesitant to use a new, uncut piece of cloth.
I actually was indeed pleased with the two pieces of applique. The technique offers something other than a mere flat design presentation. The reverse applique, I guess you could say, gives an impression of added dimension. But only an impression.
I especially look forward to using this design process when constructing an article of clothing. I think perhaps a simple skirt or blouse might be just right, so maybe this could be a Spring project.

the two hot pad sides


the machine quilted back



the front



back sides



Neat machine quilting exemplifies patience, great care, and steady hands.
Nighty night, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment