Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Cardinal Christmas

This is an example of one of our favorite ornaments, from a collection we bought maybe four or five years ago. We both enjoy birds, and the redbird seems to be the bird of choice for the Christmas season. We also have two cardinals on our tree. Next year, perhaps, I'll try to find some pretty little bluebirds to use among our decorations. I think that would be pretty. And I like to make things especially nice for the special occasion of celebrating Jesus's birth.










Deutsch and Scout have been enamoured with the Christmas tree this year. Thankfully, nothing has fallen from the tree or gotten broken. You may notice the bareness underneath. We have searched high, and we have searched low. The tree skirt had just eluded us both. It's got to be somewhere. Our Christmas things are well organized, or at least I thought they were. At any rate, I may just make another one. I made the "missing" one probably seven or eight years ago, and it was still in very good shape the last time I saw it. Maybe I'll change up things a bit and make something entirely different.




Squidley and I had a quiet little dinner at a favorite restaurant on Christmas Eve. The food and service is always exemplary, and the tone is quietly romantic. Afterward, we drove to a nearby church for a simple and beautiful Christmas Eve service.
There was a pair of "boots," made out of white dinner napkins, sitting on the hearth in the room where we dined. Very unique. Made me think that one of Santa's elves might be dealing with a case of cold feet.





a closeup




















This is our little skirtless tree. OH, and I also forgot to place a very pretty angel at the top. I hurriedly decorated the tree before Thanksgiving and before our trip to the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida, and I guess my mind was more on preparing for our little holiday. Nonetheless, we think the tree is quite nice.












































This little Santa Claus is carefully hidden within the tree branches. The person who finds it receives a special gift. There is a similiar German tradition in which a pickle ornament is hidden, and the child who finds it first wins something special.





A few years ago I gave Squidley this container filled with "snow." He just likes the white stuff so much, I figured he should have it around all the time. Oh, and the Santa is a sweet ceramic ornament made in Germany. I also bought a ceramic angel at the same time.





a depression glass pitcher filled with gold ball ornaments





an old pitcher made more festive with red bead garland





Though we had a wonderful evening, our afternoon was spent taking special care of Deutsch. While getting his nails trimmed, he suddenly jumped, causing the clipper to hurt little him. We used a home remedy immediately, then consulted with Deutsch's doctor. We were told that we were handling everything well (though he could be taken in for an exam if we wanted). Because he wanted to continually lick the injury, we were advised to go by the vet's office and pick up a Victorian collar. Deutsch only wore it until beddy bye time, when we put him into bed with us where we could keep a close eye on him. And of course Scout joined us, too.
Here's wishing everyone a nice Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment