Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Parallel Bars

Today I colored (quilted) outside the lines.

Ok. I should explain. Last week I "outlined" the squares in this little quilt, employing the "stitch in the ditch" method. As implied, all that stitching was done over seams which connected the squares.

This afternnoon I quilted outside each of those "stitch in the ditch" lines by stitching a parallel line 5/8 of an inch on each side of the "stitch in the ditch" line. This method was used in both an up and down and a side to side direction. To further upgrade the beauty of the quilting (This quilt is machine-quilted.), I increased the stitch length to 4.0. Though I think this is the perfect length for my current project, stitch length is really a matter of personal preference. Oh, and just a by the way. For the stitching in the ditch, I used a standard stitch size. I may change that, too, to a 4.0 for future projects.

The end results are quite keen. Not only does the quilt sport beautiful parallel lines in both directions on the quilt, but said lines simultaneously produce four mini-squares, joined together, each time four regular-sized squares meet.

a quilt with a view (from the back side)
I also stitched jumbo, canary colored rick rack to the quilt body's perimeter. This sharp flash of color will outline the pieced squares, much like a frame's mat can make it's picture "pop." Next, I will add a narrow border to the four sides. Once that has been completed, a solid brown binding will complete the quilt.
When Deutsch gave me this adoring look this afternoon, I was pretty certain that this little picture would get its fifteen minutes on tonight's post.

And lastly, I present a happy, smiling India.

So, it has been a good day. And I forgot to mention that Squidley took me to lunch, where we had, among other things, fresh fried chicken, rice and gravy, and bread pudding. Needless to say, we didn't need a heavy dinner tonight, so Squidley made each of us a great salad.
Well, after a cool afternoon that turned even cooler later on, I am ready to retire for the evening to our very warm beddy bye. Of course, tomorrow's high is predicted to be in the eighties, so today's sweat shirt will be swapped out for a short sleeved tee.
So, hoping everyone has a most pleasant day tomorrow.
Nighty night.

No comments:

Post a Comment