Monday, June 14, 2010

EEK!

As I often say, one need only walk outside one's door to witness incredible elements of nature. And these two photos, which I shot this morning, show precisely what I witnessed the moment I set foot onto the back patio.

I had only a minute or two earlier opened the back door to let Scout and Deutsch have a few minutes in the back yard. When I went outdoors to check on them, I immediately spotted this "big" little guy, tucked between an old birdhouse and the side of a large pine tree. He was so huge, and the angle from which I first viewed him gave me a distorted first impression. I saw no legs, but rather a thick body and a large head, so I erroneously assumed he was a snake. Oh, how exciting! A snake in the tree.

So naturally, my first reaction was to get Scout and Deutsch back inside the house. That decision was based on the fact that the two were on the ground directly below "the snake." I was going to do everything in my power to prevent anyone from getting bitten.

Fortunately, Deutsch was very cooperative, and he was the first one inside. Scout, who usually lollygags, soon followed suit. It was as if they sensed something.

Once they were safe and sound, I ran back indoors and grabbed the camera. Then back to the patio to get things set up. It was only when I looked through the lens that I realized that I was not photographing a "snake in the tree (which sounds so exotic, like something from one of Aesop's fables)."

I'm not exactly sure which member of the reptile family would claim this little guy as one of their own. I don't believe he is a newt; those tend to be on the slender side. And this fellow could actually be nicknamed "Tubby" by his comrades.

At any rate, as excited as I was to get such a close look at him, I do not look forward to seeing any more like him. I am, after all, a girl, and whenever there is a "mouse in the house" sighting, you will most certainly find me climbing onto the closest chair and chaotically screaming at the top of my lungs until I am rescued.

I do hope this fellow decides to relocate. I don't relish the idea of bonding with him this summer during backyard barbeques.
So, I hope, considering this post's topic, that it's still ok to wish everyone sweet dreams.
Nighty night, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment