Monday, August 30, 2010

Give the Poor Doggie a Bone

Early in the evening, I was in the kitchen, making a nice little pasta sauce. Squidley was elsewhere, painting a piece of furniture. I hadn't paid too much attention for about twenty minutes or so as to where those darling dachshunds were. I soon learned the whereabouts of the black and tan.
Indoor barking, excited barking, attention getting barking, come here pronto barking! I walked into the next room to find Deutsch furiously trying to get my attention. What's the matter, Lassie? Is Timmy in trouble?
I walked closer to him. As I neared him, he began walking away at a quick pace, purposefully leading me toward the other side of the room. When we reached our "destination," I wondered why he'd led me there. There were windows there, and my eyes rapidly scanned each and every pane in hopes of spotting a little froggy or a katydid or a moth. Nothing.
Deutsch was relentless, however, and I stayed with him while he tried to get his point across. After the window search yielded absolutely nothing, I at last figured it out. Deutsch was barking at a set of hand weights I'd placed on a side table earlier in the day (for use in a new workout program I'm starting). Now, we're used to all three of our little ones getting excited about new additions to a room. They are just naturally curious. This time, however, was a little different. And it took someone besides me to hit the nail on the head.
Squidley. He walked into the room to survey the situation, and he immediately solved the mystery. Deutsch thought the weights were doggie bones! At least they certainly looked like bones to him.
Well, it's quite late, and we must be getting into the beddy bye.
Nighty night.

No comments:

Post a Comment