Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Rick Rack Nix

from real . . .

. . . to pretend
This is the sideboard runnerI recently completed. The project is my first attempt at piecing together squares and fashioning those squares into something attractive and fairly large. (Years ago I pieced small squares that would ultimately become the front of a pillow. My grandmother sewed the pillow pieces together, including a ruffle she made, and added a zipper to the backside for practicality.) The runner is quilted everywhere the squares meet their neighbors.
I so enjoyed making this, and as I worked, I thought often of my grandmother, Mama Pearl, and my aunt, Katy, who have done a tremendous amount of patchwork and quilting in their lifetimes. I am so inspired by them both, and I am grateful that I have received some of their handiwork. The quilts I have from them are so beautiful and invoke such lovely memories.


close view of another recently completed project

This is the pillow case I've had planned for quite some time, since I purchased the fabric at a shop in Fort Worth. I measured one of our everyday pillowcases to give me the starting point for making a pattern. I also carefully examined it to make sure I turned out a nice product. (And I did indeed include a "deep" hem just inside the pillowcase opening.) And since this is specifically a travel pillowcase, I added rick rack as a fun little element. I plan on making one for Squidley, too. His one request is that it be rick rackless.
It has been a very sweet evening with Squidley and our little boys. Now it's sleepytime for us all. Nighty night, everyone.






No comments:

Post a Comment