Monday, February 1, 2010

Quaint Quilt

I have a brief update on the picnic quilt. I don't work on it every day as I have many things that require my time; however, I hope to complete it sometime this month. Just have to have it ready for those Spring picnics.

Today I stitched one and a half inch ric rac to the sides of the forty-nine square quilt body. Actually, before I did that, I tested a one-inch piece of the red trim for color fastness by hand washing it with liquid detergent and warm water, followed by a warm rinse and rub on a white paper towel. The ric rac passed the test with flying (but not running) colors.


Looking closely, the white, machine basted stitch is visible throughout the trim's center. This will not be seen after further construction on the quilt.


closeups of the basting


Next, I stitched the four small-print navy strips to the patchwork body. I first stitched the two sides, then the top and bottom. I carefully aligned the border strips with the newly trimmed quilt body edges.
I continued to press when needed along the way.



I particularly like the old fashioned look of the reproduction fabrics.
So, that is what I have thus far accomplished. I next must decide what kind of batting I will layer between the quilt top and the backing. I will then need to consider the different approaches to quilting that might work for this quilt, especially considering my limited experience. I recently purchased a free motion foot for my machine, but I have not yet experimented with it. Perhaps I can learn the ropes and maybe, just maybe, apply my knowledge to this little quilt.
Everyone take good care.
Nighty night.

No comments:

Post a Comment