Sunday, September 20, 2009

September Evenings: How Cool is That!

What a lovely weekend we've been enjoying! Clear warm mornings and afternoons, slightly cool evenings. Cool enough for a long-sleeved shirt or light jacket. We walked into a cinema early Saturday evening, jacketless and quite comfortable. After watching a nearly two hour feature, we emerged from the building to find the temperature had significantly dropped. It was pretty much a repeat of Friday evening when we attended a dinner honoring someone very special to us.

These temps, both day and nighttime, are a marked difference from what we only weeks ago experienced in Florida. During that trip, "no deodorant" was not an option.

Well, I mentioned seeing a film over the weekend. I think that was only the second time I'd seen the screen version of a book I'd not yet finished reading. We saw "The Time Traveler's Wife." I really couldn't give a proper review yet because I want to finish the book and see how closely (or not) the film follows it. Incidentally, this book is the first selection of a newly formed online book club I joined. "Jane Eyre," by Charlotte Bronte (chosen by our Australian host), is up next, and though I have read it already, I look forward to turning its pages again.

While in Florida recently, my hands and brain stayed busy with some light knitting. "Light" because I worked on nothing with directions that required my steadfast attention, or even cables, which aren't really complicated, but which turn out better when I'm focused and don't let any stitches slip off the cable needle. So, though I'm back to sewing after our long trip, I am still in knitting mode. I will soon post a photo of a dark gray hat I'm making for a young man in our family. This is a first for me because I have not previously worked with yarn made from bamboo (in this case, bamboo and wool blended together). The hat's stitches are tiny because the yarn of choice is sock yarn. Knitting a hat with this takes longer than using, say, a worsted, but the extra time spent is so worth it. And while perusing the great sock yarn selection could take a while, that extra time is also worth it. The first photo of sock yarn is not really indicative of that great selection, because, let's face it: Guys are not really into all those "choices" that we women are. But I do have to say that the dark gray is one of the nicer ones I've seen.



This second sock yarn is one of my favorite color combinations. It is knitting up beautifully, and I will photograph this project after it is finished.


I wish everyone a very "cool" evening, unless, of course, you prefer it warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment