Friday, October 16, 2009

Hip to Be Squares

Here are some of the 4 1/2 inch squares I made using a rotary cutter and self healing mat. The planned project requires only forty-eight, but I made extra for another project. I'll expound in a future post.

Here the squares have been sewn together, side to side, forming long strips. There are four rows, each made up of twelve squares.


This photo highlights the backsides of the strips, after the seams have been pressed. I chose to press all the seams toward the darker fabric squares in an effort to prevent any dark fabric from showing through the lighter fabric.


This is the first sock I'm knitting for the class I'm taking. I cast on forty-eight stitches using the long tail cast on. Then, for the first part, I used size four double-pointed needles and worked a 2 x 2 rib pattern for 2 1/2 inches. I then changed to size 3 double-pointed needles and resumed the rib pattern, continuing until the piece was a total of seven inches, from the very beginning. Later in the evening, after this photo was taken, I completed my homework assignment by adding ten rows of stockinette. So, it is somewhat resembling a sock, but I look forward to learning to complete the look. And I know that what I've knitted thus far is the easy part. Oh, and I don't recall the maker of this particular yarn, but I do know that is it a handpainted one.

Squidley made a very good dinner this evening, including steaks on the grill, dressing (Yes, dressing!), and Caesar salad with freshly grated parmesan cheese. His version of the popular salad is one of his signature dishes.

Deutsch and Scout had the right idea when they parked themselves on a plump pillow directly in front of a warm and cozy fire.
Hope your weekend is warm and cozy.


No comments:

Post a Comment